Thursday, December 15, 2011

The Christmas Flap


There was a blissful period of time, right around Thanksgiving, when outside interests ceased draining our time and attention. Suddenly those little issues around the house that had sat on the back burner, made their way into our consciousness.  One of those things was the slow leak in the first floor powder room toilet.  A simple examination of the toilet tank revealed that the rubber flush flap was leaking, probably due to age. This is the story of how a $3.47 plumbing part became a $2,000 Christmas “present.”  This is the story of the Christmas flap.

Replacing this little piece of red rubber was both simple and inexpensive.  In fact, the job was completed in about 15 minutes, which included a trip to Home Depot who, thankfully, is right behind our neighborhood.  That  should have been the end of the story, but it turns out it was just the beginning. 

As I mentioned,  outside pressures were relieved for all of us, so even my husband started to notice little things around that time that needed attending to.  What he noticed was that I had not reconnected the flush handle chain at EXACTLY the same length as it had been before.  I guess once you get used to the flush handle engaging in a certain spot it is like Chinese water torture to feel it engage a little later. This sent him into the tank to tinker, which then led to a stripped plastic screw on the ballcock causing the tank to now run continuously, and not just a little.  It was flowing a lot - audibly so.

This necessitated a replacement of the entire flush mechanism which, it just so happened, I already had in reserve in the basement.  Accomplishing this transfer should have been another 20-25 minute job.  The first step was to turn the water off to the tank. That is when I realized just how long we had been neglecting this particular toilet.  The water supply valve required a wrench to move it from the position it must have been stuck in for the last 15 years.  The rusted weakened valve, grateful to have been relieved of its duty to control the flow of water, promptly failed.  We now had a toilet with a broken valve in the tank that let water keep flowing in from an on/off supply valve that no longer had an "off" position.

So, after turning off the water to the entire house, I made another trip to Home Depot to see if I could find a replacement supply valve.  It probably would have been a good idea if I had brushed the accumulated fuzzy dust off the valve that was in place when I looked at it before I left. Then I would have known the trip would be wasted. Our supply valve was sweated on to a copper pipe.  We had left the realm of self home improvement  and moved into the field of professional plumber.  While the water was off I put in the new ballcock, following the directions as best I could.  You see, the directions assume you have a working supply valve so that small adjustments do not have to be made between trips to the basement to turn all the water to the house back on.  This would turn out to be a problem later, as you will see.

A confident plumbing  professional was able to come the next day and not only replace my supply valve, but give me one that, should it fail again (and he assured me it would), I could replace myself.  It is nice to meet a professional who recognizes those of us with strong self reliant streaks who would like to not have to wait for them again. Feeling the need to justify the exorbitant figure he  was about to charge me, he gave the toilet a complete check up:  something  like a 75,000 flush maintenance program I guessed. That was when he noticed that the  new ballcock mechanism I had installed was already clogged with sediment, something that would have been avoided if I could have turned the supply valve on slowly as the directions suggested.  He said it was causing the stack to leak.  So basically we were back to the slow leak that started this whole mess.

He also delicately informed us that our commode was the, “cheapest stool a builder can install,”  further noting that this particular brand was especially prone to clogging.  Hah, I thought.  I didn’t need a professional to tell me that.  I was already very familiar with this particular plumbing fixture’s predilection for clogging.  He suggested a complete replacement of said toilet.  I thanked him for his frank appraisal, and sent him on his way, along with $180.

So back to Home Depot, this time with my husband. We were actually there to get a couple strands of Christmas lights for our Christmas hedge, but as long as we were together, we thought we’d see what  was available for the powder room. There we stood, on date night, in the plumbing aisle, staring up at the dozens of gleaming, mostly white, porcelain bowls on display  trying to decide which one would be best.  Until that moment, I had not realized how little I have paid attention to the amenities and abilities of modern indoor flushing technology.  Imagine my surprise to read, on one of the handy features tags that manufacturers supply, “4x more powerful than any human needs.”  Another one promised to flush "10 golf balls in a single flush." Good lord! What has happened to the human digestive tract? Was the country’s current obesity epidemic causing a subsequent engineering challenge to our waste engineers?  Apparently, challenge met.

We selected a mid range toilet that could handle even a week of pork dinners and notable lack of roughage.  My husband then surprised me with his sensitivity when he mused that the new toilet would look rather out of place with the old fashioned towel bars and toiletpaper holder we had. Heaven forbid we have amenities from different eras in the same room.  So, on we went to the bath fixture aisle where we selected three pieces to update the room.

“You know, as long as we are updating the room, we really should get a new faucet,” he said.  Sure, I thought. Why not.  Apparently money, like the water through the ballcock in our  toilet, was flowing freely.  On to the faucet aisle we went to get one that went with the towel bars.

At this point, giddy excitement overtook my normally decorating demure husband.  “As long as we’re doing some updating….”   Updating?  I thought we were fixing a broken toilet!  “We should replace the faucets in the kids’ bath too.”  Ok Bob Villa.  We haven’t yet mastered replacing the one you just put in the cart 3 minutes ago, but  I’m sure we’re just as good as those people on the Do It Yourself shows. Two more faucets went in the cart.  This of course necessitated the purchase of two new towel bars and towel rings to go with them (see comment about matching era items for the powder room.)

School and the holidays loomed ahead, and suddenly we were doing a whole house update. I asked my mate, who usually heads to bed around 9:30, if he was planning to relive his college days and pull an all nighter to install everything in the cart as I was not sure how I, who normally takes care of the shopping, wrapping, shipping, baking, writing, and decorating was going to squeeze in this update before the new year.  Surrounded by boxes that assured the consumer they could install anything themselves, his confidence was buoyed that he could do most of it.  I, however, sensed a conspiracy on the part of the packaging.

We walked out of Home Depot $850 later and tried to load all this stuff into his Mercedes (remember, we just went to get two strands of lights).  Mercedes may be surprised to learn (as I was) that a toilet does indeed fit in the back seat of an E50. 

The next day we began the installations.  The powder room faucet was relatively easy.  The kids’ faucets proved a little more problematic.  They required another trip to Home Depot for some connector hoses.  By now, their employees had begun a pool to see how many more times we would be back. I bought the #8 square. A little adjustment with a dremel saw that, surprisingly, was  not mentioned in the installation instructions, was all that stood between us and the last new faucet. Armed with safety glasses and my conveniently small hands, I sawed off a section of chrome wire that just would not fit with the new faucet set up and, voila, success.

Old towel bars removed. Wall patched. New bars installed. We were just about there. The only thing left was to paint the walls.  

We have painted before, but it has never been fun.  One of us has this thing about really straight lines where the walls meet the ceiling and one of us thinks that as long as you can generally see they are on two different planes it’s fine. Seeing my apprehension, my newly sensitive husband suggested this might be another time to bring in a professional.  I readily agreed.

I expected the painter to be directed to the powder room upon his arrival to give us an estimate.  Well, you can imagine my surprise when my husband first showed him the two story foyer and then asked me what color I thought would be good to paint it.  This update was spreading.  It was starting to get out of control. I told him I didn’t care what color it was.  I just wanted the toilet to stop leaking! This tirade from left field threw him a little.

It also turns out that, like bathroom fixtures, old paint does not like to mingle with new paint.  Not only would the foyer get a new coat, but so would the front door, the interior doors and frames, the master bedroom ceiling  and, oh yes, the powder room.  That room would also get some wainscoating and a new chair rail.  And all of this would occur just days before we had all the neighbors over for a holiday gathering.  It would also start AFTER I had put up all our Christmas decorations which would have to come down, again, for the painters. This update was beginning to have a life of its own and it was severely conflicting with mine.

The painters were wonderfully fast, friendly and competent. They even helped remove the atrocious old toilet from the powder room so they could paint behind where the new one would sit.  They left with $1200 and fumes following them.  I will get around to putting the new toilet in tomorrow, the day before company comes so I better get it right or we will be limiting their drinks to reduce their trips upstairs to use the other bathrooms. That would necessitate cleaning up all the bedrooms and I'm afraid what updating we might find needed to be done there.

And to think it all started with a little Christmas flap.


Toilet Flap           $       3.47
Towel Bars          $   150.00
Faucets                $   290.00
Toilet                   $   320.00
Paint + labor         $1,000.00            
Wainscoating        $   200.00
Plumber               $   180.00
      $2,123.47

No comments:

Post a Comment